Silk Scarf Fashion Return

Silk Scarf Fashion Return It's Grace Kelly's fault. I don't know if it's an actual syndrome, but whenever I see a picture of her, within hours I find myself in the vicinity of a silk scarf counter. It's almost Pavlovian. Make that Chekhovian. There's rarely a happy ending to my silk-scarf encounters.
Cashmere and wool scarves I can do. Blankets? Bring them on. I've acquired excellent draping skills. But the dressier version I've never mastered. You know how, long ago, you assumed you had to feel mature before you had children? That's how it is for me with silk scarves.


Silk Scarf Fashion Return I don't think I'm alone. Scarves are the recession-busters of the fashion world. Since Liberty devoted a whole department to them in its revamp two years ago, sales have risen 12 per cent. Harrods has also expanded its range. A resurgence of interest in print must have helped - many of London's most creative, least traditional designers now produce silk scarves, as do the high street chains. And they're especially popular at Christmas. Selfridges reports sales up 200 per cent this month.
You rarely see anyone wearing them though, do you? That may be about to change because last week I visited Hermès pop-up scarf shop in Harrods. I've always been sceptical about pop-up anything - but this was scarves. By Hermès. And there only until January 3. Obviously, a visit was required.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment